Model the volume of hydrocarbon generation and expulsion through time for multiple wells. Both conventional and unconventional resource plays can be modelled. A wide range of other values are modeled including maturity, porosity, permeability, pressure and temperature, all of which can be used to further analyze the petroleum system.
For a complete summary of BasinMod 2012's Additions and Enhancements please click here.
- Model complex stratigraphy, including unconformities
- Select from several calculation methods for compaction, porosity, and permeability
- Model porosity by mechanical, fluid flow, or chemical compaction
- Mix lithology or mineral components to create an unlimited number of custom lithologies
- Model changes in formation thickness due to salt or shale movement (diapirs).
Diagenesis and Pressure:
- Calculate pore fluid pressure to predict the timing and/or depth of abnormal pressure regions as well as subsequent fracturing
- Enhance porosity reduction by means of quartz cementation in sand and smectite-illite conversion in shales.
- Model thermal maturation and predict timing of hydrocarbon generation/expulsion
- Model basement heat flow, radiogenic heat flow, and rifting heat flow
- Vary surface temperature and heat flow through time.
- Drag and drop logs in LAS format
- Display logs adjacent to stratigraphy column for formation top editing
- Pick porosity points from a porosity log for use in calibration.
Source Rock Organic Richness:
- Determine Total Organic Carbon (TOC) from logs of resistivity and porosity
- Calculate Initial TOC
- Use several maturity indicators for calibration, such as %Ro, TMAX, TAI, and CAI.
Kinetic modelling of hydrocarbon generation:
- Model one component of oil and gas using simple LLNL kinetics or organofacies kinetics (Pepper and Corvi, 1995).
- Model multiple components of oil, gas, and residue using compositional kerogens
- Access a library of kerogens compiled from literature including multiple variants of Types I, II, and III.
- Estimate the amount of surface erosion using a sonic travel time log.
- Spatially display any calculated or measured value using a variety of color and contour options
- Display shapefiles of cultural or hydrographic data
- Display radar plots which compare several calculated values against an ideal case
- Generate standard and continuous color burial history plots
- Plot any calculated value versus time or depth
- Plot any calculated value or measured data against any value or data
- Generate log-log cross-plots
- Display geochemical logs of pyrolysis data.
Fundamentals of BasinMod 2012 Movies (username required):
- Getting Started
- Getting Started continued
- Assigning Lithologies
- Lithology Mixes
- Mineral Mixes
- LAS Log Organizer
- Surface Mapping
- Bridge Import Module