BasinMod 2-D models dynamic geologic conditions within a petroleum system, by examining hydrocarbon generation from source rocks through secondary migration and accumulation in traps.
- Easily handle complex stratigraphy, including complicated unconformities.
- Vary surface temperature and heat flow through time.
- Model lateral and vertical facies successions.
- Graphically display and edit chronostratigraphic section.
- Calculation engine combines backstripping and forward modelling.
- Calculate values for all cells in a calculation grid. The variation of pressure and fluids in adjacent cells drives migration.
- Uses finite difference method for thermal and fluid flow calculations.
- Fluid flow along faults may be or automated or manually controlled.
- Calculate effects of mobile substrates (e.g.,salt, shale) through time.
- Display model values, such as temperature, pressure, maturity, generation, and saturation in cross section either as continuous color or value windows at any point in time.
- Measured maturity, porosity, temperature and pressure may be displayed on the cross section for calibration.
- Draw a burial history or plot any model value versus time or depth.
- Display velocity arrows for oil, gas and water.