BasinFlow is a flow path modeling program (2.5-D) that combines source rock and carrier bed data with hydrodynamics to model oil and gas migration and entrapment potential at the prospect, play, or basin level.
- Defines migration pathways and fetch areas.
- Identifies structural, stratigraphic, fault, hydrodynamic, and combination traps.
- Calculates oil and gas accumulation in traps.
- Models trap fill and spill.
- Models the impact of ground water recharge/discharge on migration and entrapment.
- Simulates loss of hydrocarbon during migration or though seal leakage.
- Buoyancy drive caused by variations in structure and the density differences between hydrocarbons and formation water - predicts structural traps.
- Capillary drive caused by variations in oil-water capillary pressure, which is a function of permeability - predicts stratigraphic and fault traps.
- Water drive caused by groundwater flow - predicts hydrodynamic traps.
- Display BasinFlow output as maps through geologic time in BasinView.
- Draw maps of traps, migration pathways and fetch areas.
- Display vector maps of buoyancy, capillary, and hydrodynamic drive.